Planning to renovate your garage for the new year? Do it with more than just repainting, reorganizing and cleaning. Renovate your garage by transforming it into something useful and practical that will allow you more room or perhaps an extension to your house.
If you are planning to renovate your garage, consider some of these great ideas for renovation.
- Turn your garage into a more functional space other than just a parking space for your car. If your garage is connected to your main house, create your own mudroom in your garage. You can have a storage area for all your outside clothes like coats, jackets, boots and shoes. That way, you and your family will no longer have to bring outside dirt into your house. You can easily leave them in your garage right after getting out of your car.
- Create your own workstation in your garage. If space permits, make a workstation in one corner of your garage. It does not have to be big, just enough space for a big table and one to two chairs. Install a tool rack on the wall to hang all your tools so you do not need a excess storage for them.
- Make your own recycling area. You can start recycling the things in your house when you have a recycling area. In a small space inside your garage, put several compartments or storage that will sort your recyclables from non recyclables. That way, you can bring in what needs to be recycled and easily throw out the rest.
- If you no longer need your garage for a parking space, perhaps you would like to convert it into another room inside the house. For an attached garage, convert it into a new bedroom or a home office. You can repaint, install new flooring and install a wall in place of your garage door to create another room. You can even make it a game room or a home cinema for your friends to hang out. For a detached garage, it can become a small guest house complete with a small kitchen and living room. You can even have a home office so you can get away from the house for a while to do your work.
- Incorporate a laundry area. Do your laundry in your garage instead of your house. That way, you can use the water you use for rinsing your clothes instead of washing your car. It can save you much water.