Warmer weather may be only a few months away, but during these winter months, it’s important to be sure your coat closet is neat and organized. Organizing your coat closet is as important as organizing your clothes closet. Yes, you may only need your coat for a portion of the year, but there are many other things that you store in your coat closet, and it’s good to be able to access them easily. So, instead of throwing things haphazardly about, save the valuable time you would spend searching for your coat, umbrella, or scarf and organize your coat closet now.
Here are a few tips to get you started…
- Divide and conquer. Whether your coat closet is large or small, you can maximize its space by creating and defining compartments to accommodate smaller things like your mittens and scarves. Use wooden dividers or bins to create distinctive areas, so you can arrange and sort everything.
- Leave the floor to your shoes. Don’t place other items on the floor because that is the one space that is suitable for shoes. Keep the floor area open and available for shoes, so they don’t end up being scattered about the house.
- Sort by season. Not everything in your coat closet is useful for every season. You may need easy access to your heavy coat during the winter, but in the warmer months it can easily get in the way when you’re looking for lighter jackets and shawls. Reorganize your coats seasonally, so that the most appropriate items are at the forefront when you need them most.
- Make use of hooks. Install hooks on the inside of your closet door, so you can hang frequently used coats or hats. It’s even a perfect place to hang your handbag, so you can easily reach for it before you leave the house.
- Have an umbrella rack or bin. If there is space on your floor, position an umbrella rack or small bin in that area to keep your umbrellas organized in one spot, so you’ll know where to find them on those rainy days.
- Invest in a number of hangers to keep exclusively inside your coat closet. If you’re going to organize your coat closet, you need to be sure you can actually hang your coats! Designating hangers for the coat closet will prevent them from being “stolen” to hang other clothes, and it will also save space versus if you folded your coats.