Your entry area is the gateway from the outside world to your own. It offers your guests a glimpse into your home and it is the first thing they experience, so it is important to be sure that their first impression is a positive one!
There are a multitude of ways in which you can decorate your entry and a lot is determined by the architectural elements and design of the area. For entries that face a wall, wall décor is particularly important, so below are a few ideas about how you can bring your space to life…
- A large painting. Nothing is more impressive than a huge piece of art on the wall. It doesn’t necessarily have to be an expensive painting, as long as it is aesthetically pleasing and fits the space proportionally. If you are into controversial artwork, it is better to save that for the inner part of your home because while some people will share your interest, others will not, and you want everyone to feel welcome when they first enter.
- Wall mirrors. Mirrors are a wonderful touch, and if your entry area is small or dark, they can also have a practical purpose. Windows make spaces feel larger and lighter due their reflective and light illuminating tendencies. Even if you have a small space, do not shy away from larger mirrors. The larger the mirror, the more open the space will feel, and that will create a wonderful first impression of your home.
- Unique wallpaper. If you don’t like hanging a lot of things on your walls, but at the same time don’t want your home to look plain and boring, wallpaper can be a great solution for you. Wallpaper adds great texture to a room, and you can make it as bold or as subtle as you would like. If you are dealing with a small entry area, certain patterns are also great for making a space look larger.
- Tapestries. Hang an old tapestry on your entry wall to create a focal point of old world elegance. Because they are less common these days, it will also serve as a great conversation piece.
- A unique sculpture. If you love the art of sculpture, showcase one of your favorite pieces in your entryway, so everyone who passes through your house can enjoy it. Wall sculptures are always elegant and are a great addition to any grand entrance.
- A collection of something. It can be a collection of hats, family photos, musical instruments, autographed photos, or anything that you feel would impart a bit of who you are to your guests. It’s a great way to set a personal, familiar tone and make your guests feel at home.