Adding more color to your room can increase its vibrancy and personality. If you love to see splashes of color throughout your house and/or would like more of it, don’t be afraid to experiment and play with colors. The main thing to keep in mind is to choose colors that complement each other and don’t make the room seem too crowded…beyond that, you can let your imagination run wild!
Here are a few ideas for how you can add more color to your room:
- Unite the colors in one area through a colorful painting or photographs. Rather than relying on introducing color through painted walls, you can make use of colorful artwork to introduce a concentrated splash of color to your room. This is a great option if you’re wanting to maintain the simplicity of the room, while still adding a hint of your playful side.
- Choose a color scheme for your room and then play within that area. If you love yellow and green, combine different hues of each through patterns, textures, and shades. Your room will look more attractive and have depth, but will feel well-organized and neat.
- Incorporate more vibrant furniture. Based on the color scheme of your room, choose a more vivid color for your chair or table. Don’t go overboard and try to make all of your furniture rich in color. Just choose a few focal points, such as a center table, a small stool, a wall cabinet, or a headboard.
- Make the color pop with white or neutral walls. These basic shades help your colorful elements stand out because they create a sharper contrast and minimize distraction.
- Choose contrasting colors. When choosing a color theme, focus on two or three colors that are different enough that they will produce visual interest and depth instead of monotony.
- Add color to your floor. An area rug, carpet, or even painting your entire floor are great ways to add lively, rich colors in a way that is more unique and unexpected.
- Add multi-colored accents. You can remain simple and neutral with your floors and walls and use room accents to make your space look vibrant. Choose lamps, vases, and throw pillows with colorful designs and patterns.
- Make it more personal. Choose a color that represents the atmosphere you want to create in your room. For instance, choose red for a more dramatic room or yellow for a brighter porch.