Home renovations are tough tasks, and even though we all try to cut costs where we can, sometimes doing it yourself is an impractical idea. Hiring a good contractor will not only save you the effort and time involved in doing the renovations yourself, but it will also end up saving you a lot of money because you’re eliminating the trial and error that can become quite costly.
Choosing the right contractor for your home, however, can be tricky. There are cases where contractors are really good, but also quite expensive. There are also instances where you can find a really low bid, but the results are subpar, and you end up spending more money to get it fixed. Therefore, there are several attributes you must look for in a contractor to guarantee you get your money’s worth.
Here are a few questions to ask when you are interviewing contractors for the job:
- Does he or she have a license? One major proof of expertise is a license. If your contractor has a license, then he or she is certified to work efficiently and at a high standard. When interviewing contractors, ask them if they are licensed, and if they are, also ask them to show you their license, so you can confirm they are telling the truth.
- Does he or she provide a written contract? Any negotiations, however major or minor, must be reflected in a written contract in case issues or problems arise in the future. This will demonstrate that both parties signed off on the agreement and therefore must abide by it. It also serves as an important legal document should there be a conflict.
- Does he or she work for a certified and known company? If a contractor works for a reliable company, that can provide insight into the level of standards to which he or she is held. However, keep in mind that not all good contractors work for a company. Many work independently. If that is the case, just be sure that they are certified / licensed.
- Does he or she have any experience doing your particular type of job? If so, can he or she provide references? Having experiences is a very important factor for determining if the contractor can actually deliver the renovation you want. Also, ask if they can show you the current project that they are working on.
- Is he or she amiable enough to work well with you? Bear in mind that your contractor will be working and communicating with you very regularly. Choose a person you feel comfortable around and with whom you feel you can communicate easily.