The current economic situation shouldn’t be a reason for homeowners not to enhance their homes. Now, with budget decorating, any home can look more beautiful, organized, and updated.
Transform the look of your home with less money by using these tips for budget decorating:
- Update the look of your old furniture. If you want to save your existing furniture, you can easily transform it by refinishing, painting, and reupholstering. If you want something new, instead of buying new furniture for your living room or dining room, for example, search for businesses that are going out of business and ask if they would be willing to sell their furniture for a fraction of the price.
- Make use of what’s currently available. You don’t need to buy a new painting to hang in your hallway. Gather beautiful pictures from your family vacation and create a collage of small frames. Frame a map of your favorite place, so you can have good memories every time you pass. Or, if you have a beautiful throw or tapestry, hang it on the wall so you can appreciate it all the time.
- Sew your own linens. If you know how to sew and follow patterns for window treatments, bed linens, and pillow covers, why not sew your own versus buying them? This way, you get exactly what you want and you avoid store markups.
- Small things do matter. Even adding a small candle to your living room table can create special ambience. Placing small bookends on your shelf can add a touch of sophistication.
- Simply rearrange. Sometimes you don’t need to buy or add anything to your room. Simply rearrange everything to create new dynamics and freshen the look. There are times when even thorough cleaning can do wonders.
- Stock up on the basics. If you invest in good DIY tools, you will never have to buy them again. It is a great way to equip yourself to do your DIY projects properly (so you don’t run into costly mistakes) and also to encourage yourself to do things yourself versus buying things or paying for services unnecessarily.
- Always choose the best deal. Whenever possible, ask for discounts and use coupons. Wait to make purchases until there are big sales.