Having extra storage space for your food items at home can reduce clutter inside the kitchen. If you constantly store a variety of food items and your kitchen storage is a bit small, then a food pantry is ideal for you. Not only will you be able to separate food items from your kitchen and store them in one place, but you will also have ample space left for kitchen utensils in your kitchen cabinets.
Normally, a food pantry is adjacent to the kitchen, but there are homes where pantries are integrated inside the kitchen for easier access. This is quite practical if you have a smaller house or no space left to add a food pantry.
When it comes to design, food pantries need to be planned well to make the most out of the small space. Organizing your food items is the key to make the most of the spaces in your pantry, but most importantly, it should include ample storage areas, such as wall mounts, shelves, and built- in cabinets. You may also include small canisters for smaller food items and trays and baskets for extra storage.
So, how do you design your food pantry?
Here are a few tips:
- Make everything accessible. Sure, your pantry is a storage room for food items, but you don’t want to spend all of your time trying to find an extra pack of sugar somewhere, especially if you have some cooking to attend to. You need to make everything visible.
- Add a small walk-in space in your pantry. If you have a full room for a pantry, add an extra space where you can walk in easily.
- Be creative with your storage solutions. Don’t limit yourself on cabinets and shelves. If you have smaller food items, you can place them in trays or baskets. This will also help classify things in your pantry and make your search easier. Also add some open shelves to give an impression of a larger pantry. You can add cabinet doors on your lower cabinets, but on your walls, use built-in platforms or open shelves instead.
- Create zones. Once you have a food pantry, there will be a lot of things that you will want to store in there, so make sure you keep everything well organized. For instance, place all canisters on one side of the open shelves. The extra packed items can be stored on one compartment of the lower area.
- Add a more aesthetically pleasing door. Your food pantry doesn’t have to look like just another closet in your house. Add a more appealing door to your pantry to make it more unique and stylish. A glass door will look chic, but just make sure to organize everything inside, so it doesn’t look cluttered.