Do you have trouble going to sleep at night? If so, you might want to check your bed and see if it makes noise when you move. A squeaky bed makes it harder to have a peaceful night’s sleep, and it may be keeping you up without you even realizing it.
If you have a squeaky bed, the first thing you need to do is get to the bottom of the squeak. Explore the possible reasons why your bed is making a noise, and, hopefully you can try to fix it instead of buying a new one.
To help you when you check your bed, here are some reasons why it may be squeaking:
- Your bed is weakening. A bed frame, especially one made of less durable wood, oftentimes weakens after being used for a few years. As it grows older, your bed frame can no longer support your body weight, so it makes noise when you move around.
- Your floor is making all the noise. There are flooring materials that do not conform well to the material of your bed frame. As a result, they create noise every time your bed moves slightly.
- Metals are grinding together. If you have a metal bed frame, it is common that the pieces of metal will grind together and make noise.
- Loose bolts and joints are making sounds. If there are loose screws and bolts in your bed, they may be squeaking or grinding into the frame or floor.
So, what can you do to eliminate the squeaking sound?
- Add more pressure on your mattress to reduce the squeaking sound. Adding hardwood or something else with seight under your mattress will minimize the squeaking.
- Add lubricants to the springs. This will help reduce the noise that comes from the grinding metal springs. You may also want to replace old springs with new ones.
- Balance your weight on the mattress, so the springs inside are also balanced. You can do this by rotating your mattress every few months.
- Tighten all the bolts and screws on your bed.
- Check your floor. If your floor is the problem, place an area rug underneath your bed frame to reduce the squeak.
- If your bed frame is too weak or old, it’s probably best to replace it with a new one.