Archive for March, 2013
Many people in Edmond still consider the old Boulevard Academy their school. It served many students over the years, but closed its doors in 1994.
The Boulevard Academy in Edmond is a 90-year-old structure that has served many high school students over the years. The academy served as the home of Edmond High School from 1924 to 1994. However, due to its old structure, the building was eventually left behind and no longer used to house the main high school. Instead, it became an alternative high school, and Edmond students now attend their classes at Memorial High School.
It now remains a historical and memorable place, but it could still be viable for future classes if it went under proper renovation. Because of this, renovations plans have been put into place and have already started, so they can be complete in time for the new school year in the fall.
A $3.3 million budget has been allotted for the renovations, and the money was generated by the the 2011 and 2012 bond issues. Part of the renovations include an elevator from the first floor to the second floor. More restrooms will also be added, as well as new fixtures like doors and windows. Science and computer rooms will also be added where the old auditorium used to be. There will also be major infrastructure improvements to heating, air conditioning and plumbing systems.
Sometimes homeowners avoid having their air ducts cleaned and maintained regularly because of the expense involved. However, failing to do so can cause more problems that may result in larger expenses later down the road. Furthermore, the benefits of duct cleaning actually gives you your money’s worth because it is not limited to a functional air-conditioning or heating device.
Let us take a look at what duct cleaning is before we explore its benefits. Basically, duct cleaning is when you have the components of your heating and cooling devices maintained and cleaned by a professional. The idea is to remove particles that are stuck inside, such as dust, pollen, and mold.
If your ducts are not cleaned, it can cause allergic reactions because the air becomes contaminated. Plus, it may shorten the working life of your devices, which would force you to have to buy new units later down the road.
To help you consider the reasons to have your ducts cleaned, here are some of the major benefits:
- Less allergic reactions – Many people are allergic to dust and pollen that are scattered in their surroundings. Even at home, these people are prone to possible allergic reactions because the contaminants are released into the air through vents and scattered around the house. Through duct cleaning, these contaminants are removed, so they cannot fill the air in your house.
- Saving more energy – Contaminants inside your heating and cooling systems can cause these devices to work harder and less efficiently. The more contaminants are present inside your devices, the more energy they use. On the other hand, reducing these contaminants will allow your devices to work at a regular pace, which will save you both energy and money.
- Healthier indoor air – Even inside the comforts of your own home, air can create harmful effects on your health. This is because damaging elements remain suspended in the air and are therefore ever-present. Duct cleaning can help remove these elements from your indoor air, thereby contributing to a better air quality that you breathe.
- Cost-effective – Although there is an expense involved when having your ducts cleaned, you are implementing a preventative measure that will help reduce the chances of you having to replace your units later on. It is an investment in the health of your heating and cooling systems.
- Better smelling air – Mold growth is common in ducts that are not maintained well. Aside from contributing to unhealthy indoor air quality, mold and mildew can cause the air to smell musty. If you have your ducts cleaned, you will have better smelling air inside your home.
Garbage disposals are a luxury and added convenience for any home because they help dispose of food waste in a faster and easier way. If you have a garbage disposal at home, you most likely enjoy the benefits that it offers. However, when your garbage disposal doesn’t function well, it can cause a lot of hassle. It is best to identify possible problems as soon as possible, so you can have your garbage disposal fixed before it becomes too damaged.
Here are a few signs that your garbage disposal needs repair:
- A smelly disposal – Does your garbage disposal smell even after you run soapy water through it? If so, your garbage disposal may not be working properly. One of the causes of odors smell in your garbage disposal is when scraps of food are not completely chopped, which means that your disposal is not functioning well.
- Water is backing up – A major advantage of using a garbage disposal is to chop the food properly and help drain the water. However, if the water still backs up even after you turn on the disposal, it means that your garbage disposal needs repair.
- Making too much noise – It is normal for a garbage disposal to make a noise when it is grinding your food. However, a major concern is when it starts to make too much noise. Have it checked and repaired as soon as possible so you can continue using your disposal. Otherwise, it can easily get damaged when it is making too much noise.
- Not working – Is your garbage disposal not working when you turn it on? If so, then call a professional to fix it right away.
- Leaking at the bottom – If you notice a leak at the bottom of your garbage disposal, then there is probably a broken seal on your disposal. Have it checked with a professional and let them seal your disposal properly.
One of the major concerns among parents when selecting a good community is a good school. It is important that their kids be able receive a quality education, so that they are able to develop their minds and position themselves to be competitive when it comes to applying to college. Unfortunately, however, not all schools have the facilities necessary to provide their students with quality education.
As a part of the US Department of Education’s improvement projects, grants will be allocated to select states in the country in order to make improvements to low performing schools. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan announced that the grants will be used to enhance the facilities in low performing schools and also improve training for educators.
Oklahoma and nine other states are included in the national School Improvement Grants, and Oklahoma will be receiving a $5.5 million grant to help facilitate higher levels of education within its public schools. The grant will be given to state agencies that advocate better education, and those agencies can then use the money to identify the needs of low performing school and create ways to improve the individual achievement of each student.
Health should be an important priority for children, and a healthy lifestyle does not end at home. To further promote better health among students, it is vital that schools also create ways to help.
A district wellness policy was first instated in Oklahoma City in 2006 to help facilitate proper wellness implementation among public schools. The current policy is now being examined by a committee that is planning to propose new guidelines. One of the highlights in the proposed wellness policy is the need for a PE class and a health and wellness class. Students will need to have at least an hour of physical education and an hour-long class about health and wellness each week.
In addition, punishments must no longer focus on physical activity, such as running laps, and students cannot be withheld from gym class and recess for something they did wrong.
Aside from physical activities and classes, schools are required to promote healthy eating among students. The policy will include the need for each public school to provide healthy food in order to start reducing fat and salt in the food, while including more fruits and vegetables in meals.
To help facilitate the policy, there will also be a district wellness committee comprised of students, staff, and community members. They will track the progress of each policy implementation and make sure that each guideline is properly followed.