When you are expecting guests at your home, you do everything you can to make sure your house is spic-and-span when they arrive. You make sure there are fresh, clean towels in the bathroom, the furniture is arranged well, and the floors are spotless. When they walk through the door, you want them to feel welcome and comfortable.
But, give it a day or two and you may find it difficult to maintain that level of cleanliness while your guests are there. Household maintenance takes a lot of effort, and it can be a challenge to clean things as you go along when you are busy entertaining your guests. Though most guests will be understanding if the state of your house deteriorates a bit while they are there, you still want to leave them with a good impression.
So, to help you keep your home clean during your guests’ stay, here are a few tips:
- Clean any spills or trash immediately. Even if you do have to entertain, you can find a minute to quickly wipe spilled juice off the floor or throw food wrappers in the trash bin. Don’t put these small things off because they will just accumulate into a big mess later.
- Have cleaning materials ready. Have mops, clean towels, rags, and a vacuum, so you can easily grab them and clean when necessary.
- Ask everyone in the family to help. Ask your kids to help keep the house clean by only playing only in their rooms. Ask your spouse to entertain the guests while you make dinner or clean the kitchen afterward. That way, your guests will receive attention, but you will still able to keep the house clean as well.
- Clean as you go. Before you leave a room, take two minutes to organize everything. For instance, when you and your guests move to the dining room for dinner, take a few minutes to rearrange your throw pillows, organize magazines, and put everything back in place in your living room.
- Delegate. Assign everyone a task to do while there are guests in the house. Your kids can be assigned to arranging the dining table and keeping their rooms clean. You and your spouse can divide the tasks of cooking and cleaning, so each of you has time with your guests around meal time.