Wood furniture is a beautiful addition to any home interior. The natural look of the wood creates a warm and cozy appeal, making it more inviting for your family and guests. However, years of use and wear and tear may cause wood furniture to develop a bad smell that can cause it to lose its allure.
Fortunately, there are ways you can salvage your wood furniture and get rid of bad smells, so it will look and smell brand new again. Below are a few tips:
- Baking Soda – One of the most effective and inexpensive ways of eliminating bad odors is baking soda. This kitchen ingredient is easy to use and it something you probably already have in your home. Put some baking soda in bowls and store it inside your wood cabinets or place it on top of your wood furniture. It will help deodorize smells.
- Ground Coffee – Just like baking soda, coffee is also a good odor remover. Simply put some ground coffee in small bowls and place on your wood furniture. The odor will gradually disappear.
- Sun – Let your wood furniture sit outside in the sun. Simply take your wood furniture outside to help eliminate bad smells. Just make sure you don’t leave it out there too long because you don’t want the furniture fade or get brittle and break.
- Dehumidify – Help reduce the cause of bad smell in your wood furniture by placing it where there is less moisture. Wood is very porous and absorbs moisture easily, thus causing it develop a musty smell. Remove your furniture from humid areas of your home or use a dehumidifier to remove moisture from the air.
- Wood Soap – Clean your wood furniture with a good wood soap to kill the bacteria and dirt that may be causing it to smell. There are many options when it comes to wood soap. Ask for assistance from your local hardware store to determine which soap is best for the kind of wood furniture you have.