When you have a room that is surrounded by trees and large plants, a room that has only one window, or a room whose only window is located above eye level, it can make the room feel dark and gloomy.
This situation is every decorator’s challenge, but it doesn’t mean you have to be stuck with a dark, dull room. Here are few tips to help you lighten up your space:
- Add a light-colored area rug. Materials with lighter colors reflect more light. It will also draw your eyes from darker areas of the room and make the overall space feel more expansive.
- Install light fixtures. Install light fixtures that screw into the wall or ceiling, as they have the advantage of operating from wall switches and provide light from above, thus filling more of the room. They also don’t take up floor or table space, which helps reduce the feeling of clutter.
- Replace existing bulbs with higher light intensity. CFLs, or Compact Fluorescent Bulbs, have a lower wattage, but higher light output. Experiment with the subtle color variations of bulbs.
- Add mirrors. Mirrors have the ability to make a room look larger than it really is. Consider placing a floor-to-ceiling mirror at the end of your room. You can also use vanity mirrors and free standing mirrors to reflect whatever light is available.
- Reduce visual clutter. This will make the space feel more expansive because clutter naturally makes a room feel more closed in and dark. Remove items that do not belong to the room and place them in a different part of the house.
- Choose light-colored flooring and paint for the ceiling. A light-colored ceiling will give the illusion of height because it will draw your eye up. You can choose light wood tones for your floors, like natural maple or cherry, which will contribute to a lighter visual throughout the entire room.
- Add greenery. Potted plants can add a bright and lively air to a room. Opt for plants that flourish in limited sunlight, such as ferns, snake plants, and flowering bromeliads.
There are always ways to add personality to any room without undergoing major changes. Try these tips in your dark room and watch as it begins to feel lighter and more cheery.